Sunday, October 27, 2013

Felt Lakshmi


 
Using 100% wool felt, and cotton, I made the Goddess Lakshmi for my son.  I purchase my felt from Weir Dolls &Crafts. 

I never learned to sew, unless what I learned as a preschooler in Montessori counts.  This looks complicated but it isn't that difficult to put together and a child isn't going to mind if your stitches are crooked or backwards or just plain wrong.  If you don't want to purchase wool felt you can try using eco-felt but it is a much less forgiving fabric that can tear a lot easier than wool felt.


 
1.) I cut out the patterns shown above.  I had a lot of wool felt scraps that I needed to up, so you don't have to follow the patterns exactly, especially when it comes to the jewelry and sari embellishments.
2.) I sewed the eyes, mouth and bindi onto the front layer of the face using a double thread.
3.) The body, (red sari), and head and limbs are in duplicate.  I sewed those together using a blanket stitch.  For sturdier and easier construction, you can also just cut the shape of a torso with four arms and a head attached to it already out of a flesh colored felt, (and sew the sari on after), but I didn't have enough brown felt to do that.
4.) I sewed the hair on, making sure to only attach it to the back layer of the head so the stitches wouldn't show on her face.
5.) I sewed the remainder of the clothes and jewelry on.
6.) I sewed the three lotuses on.
7.) I had drawn the lotus petals on with a ball point pen and just went over it with a running stitch to make sure the lines wouldn't fade like ink on felt does over use, and the felt Lakshmi was done.

If you have an older child, it can be a fun craft to do together as well for Diwali or any occasion.  And as an added benefit, why not challenge the Indian ideals of fair skin by making your goddess whatever skin tone you want her to be?

Keep checking back for more Felt tutorials on Wading With Soup including Ram, Ravan, Lakshman, Sita, Hanuman, Krishna, Shiva, Parvati, Kartikeya, Ganpati, an India play mat with animals, and American and Indian play food.  Here is a sneak peek at what's to come:
Shankar, Ravan and Ram

Kartikeya, Parvati and Ganpati
 

No comments:

Post a Comment