Sunday, February 2, 2014

DIY All Natural Air Fresheners


1.) One of my favorite DIY air fresheners in winter is done on the stove.  I keep a jar of cinnamon sticks, vanilla beans that have already had the insides scraped out, and cloves in my pantry that I reuse in this mix.  I dry organic tangerine or orange peels overnight just by leaving them out on a plate and then add the peels and mix to a pot of water.  Boil the water and your whole house will be filled with the aroma of cake.  Since I'm a little more easily distracted now by my kids, I never boil this air freshener without putting a timer on to remind me to turn the stove off.

2.) I sometimes use a plastic spray bottle made from a safer plastic (#1, #2, #4 or $5) and put a little water in it.  If you have hard water you may want to fill it with filtered water.  I then add several drops of essential oil or a mixture of essential oils.  I like mixing cinnamon with orange or eucalyptus and mint.  This is a quick air freshener that can be spritzed around the house for a great substitute to the chemical alternatives out there that are filled with phthalates but I just pour in what I want to use that day because I don't want to let standing water grow anything since there is no preservative in the mix.

3.) Baking soda is a great deoderizer on its own but if you want to add a few drops of an essential oil to it it can help absorb and mask the odors in a garbage can.  I usually just pour loose baking soda or baking soda and essential oil mixed together into a trash can but you can add essential oil and water to baking soda to make it into cakes as well.  I used a bpa/phthalate free molding tray to do this.  Just put the mixture into your mold and allow it to try.  Depending on our weather it has taken anywhere from a few days to a week to dry for me.  Then pop the cakes out of your mold and put them in the trash can and they quickly mask odors.

I don't like to keep lit candles in the house with little children running around but if you really want a phthalate-free candle you can find several recipes online like this one, or if you don't want to make one yourself, you can buy a natural candle like Aroma Naturals, which uses plant-based waxes and only uses essential oils to scent its candles.

No comments:

Post a Comment