Sunday, February 23, 2014

Play Food Tutorial: Pizza

DIY play food is all the rage these days and it isn’t that difficult to make, even if you’re a sewing novice.  I put my beginner-level sewing skills to use this year making play food for my son, and as gifts for friends and relatives.

Materials:

1.) A needle and good thread in various colors.  I like the quilter’s thread from JoAnn Fabrics because it is often on sale and it is strong enough to hold your creations together.

2.) Wool Felt.  Unlike regular felt, wool felt is made from 100% wool.  While this does mean it is more expensive than regular crafting felt, wool felt is much tougher than synthetic felt and it will maintain its shape without falling apart when you cut it.  I buy my wool felt online from Weir Dolls andCrafts.

3.) A sharp pair of scissors.  Fiskars Razor Sharp scissors have a locking mechanism to prevent kids from cutting themselves if the scissors accidentally fall into their hands.  Available at Amazon and craft stores, they make cutting a breeze but they are incredibly sharp so be careful.  A few reviewers mentioned cutting themselves by mishandling the scissors while opening the package.

4.) Cotton fabric.  I didn't bother ironing it before sewing, as the wrinkles made the pizza slices look more realistic.

Directions:

I cut out triangles from cotton fabric to make my slices.  On one side of a triangle slice, I sewed on yellow and red wool felt for my cheese and sauce.  I then took the pairs of triangles and sewed them together, inside-out, leaving an inch opening.  I turned them right-side-out and sewed a line an inch from the top to make the crust.  I then stuffed the slices with fabric and sewed the opening shut.

I cut mushrooms out of wool felt and used a brown thread to embellish them.



I cut banana peppers and bell peppers out of wool felt.

I sewed green and red wool felt together to make a hot pepper and green olives.

For my earlier tutorial on play Indian food click here.
Check back for more play food tutorials, including tacos, sandwiches and pasta.
New posts every Monday and Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment