Wednesday, June 25, 2014

DIY Toys: Woodland Folk

Acorn Gnome, Fairy with leaf wings, Mushroom Elf, Elf Baby and another Gnome.
Once my Woodland Village was completed, it was time to populate it with Woodland Folk.


Shapes cut out for the woodland folk.
I cut the following shapes out to make the gnome:
I sewed the pink body together with a blanket stitch, sewed the yellow cap together with a blanket stitch, and then sewed the cap, face and beard to the body. I used a Fabric Marker to draw two dots for eyes.

I cut the following shapes out for the fairy.  I drew veins onto the leaf wings with a green Fabric Marker.
I then sewed the wings together with a blanket stitch, the pink body together with a blanket stitch, and sewed the face to the front of the body and the wings to the back.  I drew two eyes on and the fairy was done.


The finished products
For the Mushroom Elf, I cut the following shapes out:

The yellow body was sewn together with a blanket stitch and then the mushroom dots were sewn onto the maroon cap.  I then sewed the face semi-circle to the yellow body and sewed the mushroom cap to the back of the head.  Finally, I drew two dots on for eyes.

For the Acorn Gnome, I cut out these shapes:
I sewed the pink body together with a blanket stitch and then sewed the face semi-circle onto the pink hood.  I then sewed the white beard onto that and the acorn hat and stem to the top of the head.  I finished it with two drawn-on eyes.


Here is what they look like assembled:


Lastly, I cut the following shapes out for the elf baby.  I sewed the baby's body together with a blanket stitch and then sewed the face to it and added eyes with the Sharpie Fabric Marker.  I then folded the lower left and right edges of the large green leaf towards each other and sewed them closed like a cocoon, sewing the little green leaf on top for an accent.







Check back every Monday and Thursday for new posts.  Coming up: the rest of the Woodland Village animals, How to Help Pollinators, Toxin Toxout, and free books!

Follow me on Twitter @soups25

No comments:

Post a Comment