Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Review: Zoku Mini Pops

I recently had the opportunity to try out the Zoku Mini Pops mold.
(Note: I received a complimentary product for review purposes but all opinions are mine).


These mini Popsicle makers are BPA and Phthalate free!
And because the mini pops just pop out of the base, there is no need to run them under hot water.
You can see from the picture below, the far right mold is popped up, having released a Mini Pop.  This also makes it easy to pop an uneaten Mini Pop back in, in case you made a variety of flavors and didn't pick the flavor you were looking for.


Each mold can make 9 Mini Pops.  The Mold is 9.75" X 6.75" X 3".  
I blended pineapple in my Nutribullet and put it in the pop maker.  A couple hours later I had a fresh pineapple Mini Pop:

And while it is a small Popsicle, it was more than enough for me, and it is the perfect size for a child too.

Since my son is teething, we also make "water Popsicles," like the one below:
The Mini Pop Mold lets you make Mini Pops out of fresh, natural ingredients without the added sugar in store-bought Popsicles.  It also can serve as an ice tray if you pour water into the mold and don't use the sticks.  This makes fun, spherical shaped ice cubes (or "ice spheres" to be more accurate).

I just filled the mold with organic berries and water to make these red and blue ice cubes.  They would be great for a 4th of July party and leave your water tasting great too:


I also tried out using the mold to make chocolate covered berries and raisins.
The Zoku Blog has an easy recipe for the Zoku Quick Shell, which calls for chocolate chips and coconut oil to be melted in a double boiler in a 2:1 ratio.

FOR THE QUICK SHELL
2/3 cup (4 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup (2 ½ oz) refined coconut oil 

I used 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/4 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil.
  (The Zoku blog also has several other recipes to try out too).


Melting the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a double boiler

While waiting for the chocolate shell to cool, I washed the berries I was going to use.

I filled the mold with organic raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries and tried one with raisins.

I then added organic chia seeds.
And then it was time to add the chocolate shell, making sure to not go over the Fill Line.




The chocolate, chia, fruit pops and on the right, blueberries and strawberries in water for flavored ice spheres.

I then added the sticks and put the molds in the freezer.

The Zoku instructions booklet says it will take around 6 hours to freeze.  I checked on mine in five hours and the pops were frozen, but this will vary on the temperature of your freezer.
So I just popped out the Mini Pops like this:

And they were ready to be eaten:


They were delicious and cleanup was fairy easy.  The sticks are tiny so it is a good idea to have a system of where to put the washed sticks when people are done so you don't lose them.  I just keep a glass bowl by the sink to store them in until I put them back in the mold.  The sticks and mold are easy to hand wash.  The only time I had trouble was when some of the chocolate shell got jammed in the little hole in the stick.  I just soaked it and then used a fork to clean the remaining chocolate out.


The Zoku Mini Pops mold is a great, BPA/Phthalate-free way to make controlled portions of chocolate covered fruit, homemade fruit pops, green smoothie pops, ice cubes and much more.  I highly recommend this product.  As you can see from the pictures above, I liked it so much I ended up purchasing more for myself and other family members.

Where to Purchase Zoku Products:
$16.99 at the Zoku Website.
Other online retailers like Amazon (Currently their price is $34 but I purchased it from Amazon for $17.99 so if you want to buy it from Amazon, I'd just keep checking the price over a few weeks to see if it drops back down from $34), Bed Bath and Beyond, Williams Sonoma, Sur La Table

Connect With Zoku:


Follow me on twitter @soups25

No comments:

Post a Comment