Sunday, August 17, 2014

Play Food Tutorial: Taco



DIY play food is all the rage these days and it isn’t that difficult to make, even if you’re a sewing novice.  I put my beginner-level sewing skills to use last year making play food for my son, and as gifts for friends and relatives.  (And if you don't want to sew, you can just cut the shapes out of felt.  A sturdier felt like wool felt will last longer but if you don't want to use wool, the synthetic Eco-fi felt will do).

Materials:

1.) A needle and good thread in various colors.  I like the quilter’s thread from JoAnn Fabrics because it is often on sale and it is strong enough to hold your creations together.

2.) Felt.  JoAnn Fabrics has several colors of Eco-Fi felt and every now and then they come on sale for 25 cents each.

3.) A sharp pair of scissors.  Fiskars Razor Sharp scissors have a locking mechanism to prevent kids from cutting themselves if the scissors accidentally fall into their hands.  Available at Amazon and craft stores, they make cutting a breeze but they are incredibly sharp so be careful.  A few reviewers mentioned cutting themselves by mishandling the scissors while opening the package.


I cut circles out of yellow wool felt and using a black thread, added some specks to it to make it look like a taco with black thread.  If you don't want to sew you can just use a Sharpie Stained fabric marker to draw black dashes all over the taco.

I then cut lettuce, beans, shredded cheese (I just cut into one side of a semi-circle piece of felt so it would be easy to use and so that little shreds of "cheese" wouldn't be lying all over my house), lettuce, and tomatoes.  I used a pink thread to sew little triangles onto the tomato to make it look more realistic but you could skip that step if you don't want to sew or draw them on with a pink Stained marker.

Here are some of my older play food tutorials:










Check back for more play food tutorials for tea and fruits and vegetables.





Check back every Monday and Thursday for new posts.  Coming up in the next few weeks: more DIY toys, green toy recommendations, and more info on green products.
And if you like what you see here, check out my Amazon Author page for my picture books, and my blog posts on The Huffington Post. 
Follow me on Twitter @soups25

No comments:

Post a Comment