Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Un-Petroleum Jelly


It was a bit of a shock for me when I realized petroleum jelly is a by-product of the petroleum industry.  Yes, the word "petroleum" is in the name, front and center, but I never really put much thought into it, and petroleum jelly was my "lip gloss" of choice throughout my early years.

Since eliminating several chemicals from our everyday routine, for the past few years I have just used natural products like Dr. Bronner's Organic Lip Balms and I make my own vapor rubs using beeswax, coconut oil and essential oils for when my oldest child has a cold, (you can find several recipes for this online with different oils).  And this year, I discovered Alba's Un-Petroleum Jelly, an alternative to petroleum jelly that is natural and free of petrochemicals.


Here's what it looks like.


It isn't odorless; it does have a mild scent to it, I'm assuming from the castor oil but it isn't anything offensive.  It's vegetarian and free of animal testing, artificial colors, Phthalates, Parabens, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Myreth Sulfate.  The consistency is close to petroleum jelly and unlike petroleum jelly, this is a green product free of petrochemicals.  It's available at Vitacost, Amazon and other online retailers.

For more info on petroleum jelly/petrolatum and petrochemicals, click on these links:
Petroleum Jelly May Not Be As Harmless As You Think
Alternative Lip Glosses
The Truth About Petrolatum
More info on Petroleum Jelly

Check back every Monday and Thursday for new posts.  Coming up in the next few weeks: more DIY toys, green toy recommendations, and more info on green products.
And if you like what you see here, check out my Amazon Author page for my picture books and my blog posts on The Huffington Post. 
Follow me on Twitter @soups25

No comments:

Post a Comment