Sunday, September 14, 2014

DIY Felt Board

Last week I made a felt board to use at home.  It was a quick, simple project that costs less than $3.

I started with an old Seventh Generation diaper box, removed the tape, and flattened it like this:


I then took a large piece of felt and wrapped it around the box, so that it overlaps.


I sewed the side over the box.  No one is going to see this side so you don't have to be that careful about your stitches.  (If you don't want to stitch, you can use a hot glue gun to glue the ends of the felt together or your could pin it, but since I have young kids I didn't want to use safety pins in case they opened and the kids got a hold of them).


I then folded the top and bottom of the felt down and sewed them in place.  You can see how crooked I had cut the felt on the bottom edge but like I mentioned earlier, this won't be visible so it doesn't matter.

And just like that the felt board is done and ready to be used!  This is a quick and simple way to make an educational tool that kids can have lots of fun playing with and it is a great way to upcycle old cardboard boxes.


Check back every Monday and Thursday for new posts.  Coming up in the next few weeks: More DIY toys, green toy recommendations, and more info on green products.

Follow me on Twitter @soups25

No comments:

Post a Comment