Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Diwali Cards


Instead of throwing out those old wedding invitations that pile in the mail in summer, I repurpose the religious ones into new cards for Indian holidays like Diwali.  Here are some that I have done, cutting up bits and pieces of several cards to make new ones.



  


Here are some tips that were originally posted with the article on making greeting cards out of wedding invitations:

1.) Pay attention to weight.  You don’t want to make your cards too heavy and end up paying more than standard postage for them.  I bought a box of A2 envelopes and keep all my cards small enough to fit in there.  The size limitation helps limit the card’s weight as well.

2.) I try to use as much of the original card as possible.  You can break apart envelopes and remove the decorative lining.  And in cards with a lot of writing on them, you can always cut around the words to get nice borders.

3.) I glue cards together, written side facing in, to get a blank surface to work on. Occasionally this isn’t possible so I use cardstock instead. 

4.) If you’re reusing the thinner invitations that feel pulpy, Elmer’s glue will show through most of them, and sometimes soak through the thin paper too.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous and amazing Diwali cards you got there. This year, I will try some personalized Diwali wishes and send out handmade Diwali cards. Thanks for sharing inspiration. Have a happy and blessed diwali!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Happy Diwali to you too! I hope you have a great time making the cards. I really enjoyed it.

      Delete