Sunday, October 19, 2014

DIY India Playmat


Here is a play mat I made out of old scraps of felt and shirts.  We call it the "India play mat" and it is fairly easy to make and is a great DIY gift for Diwali.

If you don't want to sew, you could just cut the mountains and trees and grass and lake out of felt instead of fabric and place it on top of a larger piece of felt.  Or you could make the same play mat out of construction paper, poster board and glue.


I made a crow, parrot, monkey, cobra, cow, mouse and peacock out of felt for my kids to play with on the India play mat as well.  The animals are modeled off the ones in my Hindi/Marathi/Gujarati Book of Animals books so my older son also has fun matching them to the animals in those books.


This Thursday will be the last Diwali post for the year.  It's a couple Diwali lamp shaped snacks for kids or to serve at a Diwali party.
You can search this blog for "Diwali" or "India" to find more Diwali crafts and homemade gift ideas, including these.

Check back every Monday and Thursday for new posts.  Coming up in the next few weeks: Lullaby Paints wall paints, chalkboard paints, a chalkboard mural, DIY chalkboards, a cardboard box craft, more DIY toys, green toy recommendations, and more info on green products.
And if you like what you see here, check out my Amazon Author page for my picture books and YA novel, and my blog posts on The Huffington Post. 
Follow me on Twitter @soups25

No comments:

Post a Comment