Wednesday, November 26, 2014

November Felt Board


A few months ago I made a low-cost felt board out of an old Seventh Generation diaper box.



Since then, we have been fun using our felt board to learn about animals, seasons, plants and much more.  For November I decided to go with the theme of gratitude.  Since my son is just 2.5, I don't know how much of this he gets, but we have always tried to teach him to be thankful for what he has.  
Before every meal, we have him say, "Thank you cows for the milk.  Thank you calves for the milk.  And thank you farmers for the grains, lentils, vegetables and fruit."  It's a small thing but it is a good reminder that food doesn't just show up on your plate and that people toiled in order for you to eat and calves lost their lives and cows gave you the milk meant for their own babies.  I find it to be a good reminder for myself as well.

So for November, I just cut out hearts and numbered them 1-30 for each day in November.  Every morning when we go to the felt board, my son says what he is grateful for and puts the heart up.  Highlights include "cooking," "Trader Joe's," and "the felt board."



He may be a little young for this but he still enjoys doing it and hopefully with each November it will have more and more meaning for him and my baby.

Happy Thanksgiving!  Check back every Monday and Thursday for new posts.  Coming up in the next few weeks: more DIY toys,info on green toys and products and more chalkboard paint projects featuring Lullaby Paints.


No comments:

Post a Comment