Sunday, December 28, 2014

Felt Dragon

My son had been asking for me to make him a dragon for a while now so last week I made this:

I started with a drawing, which I cut out of paper to trace on felt.


The green felt was just for the body so I cut the spikes and wings off before tracing and cut some of the belly off because it seemed to be too much for the toy.

I just used a ballpoint pen to trace the outline onto a folded piece of felt so that I would get a pair of dragons to sew together.

I then placed some more felt over the locations of the dragon's legs (in 2 layers so I get a pair of each limb to sew together) and drew some legs that seemed proportionate.



Just by luck, when I cut the last leg out I ended up with a shape that looked like wings so I decided to just use that pair to make the dragon's wings.



I then got a lighter green piece of felt and put it over the dragon to cut out the belly and underside of the neck.




I sewed the wings together and the legs together using a blanket stitch and sewed them to the front side of the dragon.  I then got out some felt scraps to make the fire.

And then I sewed the flame together.

I got out more scraps to make my dragon's spikes.  They were all cut in folded duplicates so that I could sew them together.

 
Next, I sewed two more little scraps of felt to the dragon's horns.

Then I sewed the body of the dragon together with a blanket stitch starting from the bottom of the dragon.

As I worked my way up I put the flame in the dragon's mouth and sewed one end of it between the two layers of the dragon's body.

 I sewed the dragon's head closed and then it was time for the spikes.  I simply put one end of each spike in between two layers of the dragon's neck, back and tail and sewed them in like so:


Before the dragon was totally sewn shut, I stuffed it with some old scraps of cotton, sewed the dragon closed and the toy was done!


Here is "Dragon the dragon" with some PlanToys peg people.

Check back every Monday and Thursday for new posts, including more info on green toys and products, DIY toys, (including more Indian playfood like masala dosa, another kind of samosa, and idli sambar), and more chalkboard crafts featuring Lullaby Paints.  

Follow me on Twitter @soups25

No comments:

Post a Comment