Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Felt Unicorn

On Sunday you saw a picture of this little unicorn with the Grimm's Spiel and Holz Design Rainbow.

Here is how I made him/her.
First I drew a unicorn on one side of a piece of felt folded in half.

Then I cut it out in duplicate, through both layers of felt.  I did the same for the wing.  You can see the pair of wings open below, before I folded them and sewed them together.
And dug through my felt scraps to find a horn, and hair.  I just placed it on the unicorn and then trimmed them later once I found pieces that would fit.
Then it was time for the tail.

I outlined the unicorn's tail on my magenta felt and cut it out.

The butt needed to be cut out of the tail so I then put the magenta felt over the gray tail and estimated where its backside was and drew it on the felt so I could cut it out.

I then flipped the unicorn over and trimmed any magenta felt that was too big to match the gray cutout of the tail.

I then used the magenta scraps to fill in the rest of the unicorn's hair and put a scrap of purple felt on the tail.
Once I laid everything out and knew it would fit, it was time to sew.

I sewed the horn, hair and tail on.
Then I sewed the wings together with a blanket stitch and stuffed it with cotton scraps before closing it.
I sewed the wing to the front of the unicorn and then used a blanket stitch to sew the unicorn, stuffing it with cotton scraps as I went around, before closing it.

I made a little mistake by not stuffing the feet so the unicorn doesn't always stand up that well when leaning against something, but usually it does.
Finally, it was time to take out my black Sharpie Stained fabric marker and give the unicorn some details and a face:





Check back every Monday and Thursday for new posts, including more info on green toys and products and more DIY toys.  Next week I'll take a look at Grimm's Spiel and Holz Water Waves and post a tutorial for an easy DIY felt igloo.

Follow me on Twitter @soups25



No comments:

Post a Comment