Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Make A Pig Out Of An Old Shirt



Last week I showed you how to make a sew or no-sew version of the 3 Little Pigs' houses.  Today I'll go into how I made the extra pig I needed.


I cut the following shapes out of an old shirt sleeve.  The body is in duplicate.  I just cut along the sleeve (the snout is the cuff) so I didn't have to sew anything on the top of the body since it was along the fold and therefore already connected.

You might remember this pattern, as it was the shirt used in the upcycled octopus I made last year.

I always make sure I am not using stain repellant or wrinkle-free clothing because that means they are coated with PFOAs.

I sewed the body of the pig together using a blanket stitch, stuffing it with scraps of the shirt as I made my way around it.
And then I sewed the ears on by just sewing the rectangular parts of the ears down with a blanket stitch.  This makes the triangular part of the ears flap freely like a real pig's, as seen above.
In the picture below you can see some of the frayed edge of the rectangular parts of the ear as I started to sew them down.

And within a few minutes the pig was done!



Check back every Monday and Thursday for new posts, including more info on green toys and products and more DIY toys.  Coming up, a glue-free wooden cutting board!

Follow me on Twitter @soups25


No comments:

Post a Comment