Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Three Little Pigs' Houses - Sew or No-Sew Versions

I made quick houses to act out the 3 Little Pigs out of felt and a Sharpie Stained fabric marker.



To make the straw house, I cut a large rectangle out of yellow felt and sewed the two ends together with a blanket stitch.  I also cut the two smaller rectangles out, shaped them into an X, and sewed them together in the center with a couple stitches.

(If you don't want to sew, you could just fold the rectangle into a cylinder and place the roof strips on top of it.  Everything will fall when kids touch it but the house can easily be propped back up). 


I then cut a doorway out of the bottom edge and sewed two scraps together to make a roof.  I finished the house off by drawing some lines on it to resemble a straw house.


To make the stick house, I followed the same steps as above, sewing together a brown rectangle and cutting out a door.  I just used an oddly shaped scrap of brown felt for the roof and drew lines on the house and roof to resemble sticks.

The stick house without sewing



To make the brick house, I cut out four rectangles, (2 pairs of identical rectangles), and sewed the edges together with a blanket stitch.  If you want a no-sew option, just cut a long rectangle out instead and make it a cylindrical shape like the other two houses.  I then cut out a door and drew a brick pattern on and our three houses were set.

The 3 houses sewn together

With the doors cut out


Because we had a PlanToys Arctic Fox to play the part of the big bad wolf and a PlanToys pig and an Anamalz pig, I just had to sew the third pig.



Huffing and puffing and blowing houses down.

This Thursday, I will show you how to make a simple pig out of an old shirt.
This was a simple, quick project that led to lots of fun, as we acted out the 3 Little Pigs.  (The Big Bad Arctic Fox just ran away in our version though without being boiled alive.  Lucky him).

Check back every Monday and Thursday for new posts, including more info on green toys and products and more DIY toys.  

Follow me on Twitter @soups25

No comments:

Post a Comment