Sunday, March 22, 2015

Bird-Themed Birthday Party Food, Including Another Watermelon Cake


For the birday party, I used fruits and vegetables to make an owl and a nest, an apple tree, a watermelon cake with a bird in a nest, and we used some packaging paper to make nests around some snack bowls and served seeds (sunflower seeds) and twigs (pretzels).

Last year I had made this watermelon cake for my other son's birthday:

This year I decided to attempt a bird's nest with a bird.


I cut the two ends off a personal watermelon and then removed the skin to get a cylindrical shape.
I used toothpicks to attack blackberries and pineapples cut into triangles.
I cut a honeydew melon in half, removed the seeds and had a nest.
I just put it on top of the watermelon base without attatching it with a toothpick.  I filled it with some more pineapple slices to get my bird high enough in the nest to be seen.
I then cut a wing out of the pineapple and a bird out of watermelon and attached the wings to it with a toothpick.
Then I took a bit of a blackberry and stuck it on the bird's face for an eye.  Because it was moist it stuck without a toothpick.


For decoration on the food counter, I then cut an owl out of the remaining watermelon and pineapple, giving it blackberry eyes, and used the other half of the honeydew to make its nest.  I balled some watermelon for the owl's eggs and used celery as a branch.


I cut celery and broccoli and used tomatoes to make this apple tree:


And then I taped old packaging paper to serving bowls to make nests and served pumpkin seeds and pretzels as seeds and twigs.





 Check back every Monday for new posts, including more info on green products, DIY toys, and the rest of the birday party, including decor, favors, a game and a craft.

Follow me on Twitter @soups25



No comments:

Post a Comment