Sunday, May 31, 2015

Upcycle an Old Sock Into a Sheep


Last year, while doing the laundry, I saw a sock that was balled up and thought it could make a great sheep.
So I found an old sock with holes in it and cut off the foot of it.  I then cut the following pieces out of black and pink felt.


The four black pieces on the left (2 in the top row and 2 in the bottom) are for the head.
The next four pieces (2 in the top row and 2 in the bottom) are for the ears.
And the four on the right are the feet.

I first took the two black pieces that are second from left in the top and bottom row above and sewed the tops and bottoms together with a blanket stitch.
I was then left with a cylindrical shape with openings on either end that were not stitched.
I pinched the felt and held the shape on top of the smaller pieces of felt for the head.
I then cut out the shape it made like so:

I cut two of that shape out and realized I didn't need to put on one the end of the head that would be attached to the sock.  
So I just sewed the piece onto the front of the head and stuffed the felt scraps into the head to complete it.


Using white thread doubled, I sewed two little eyes onto either side of the head.
Then it was time for the ears.

I took the black and pink pairs and sewed them together with a blanket stitch.
I then pinched the wider end of it like so to make the final shape of the ear.


Then I took my four black feet and sewed them to the sock, two on each side.

Turning the sock inside out, I sewed the bottom shut with a running stitch.  (This is the unfinished side, without the cuff, seen at the bottom).



I turned it back the right way and stuffed it with the sock's foot that I had initially cut off.
Then I sewed the other end of the sock closed.


I then folded each end of the sock, to resemble a balled up sock, and sewed it in place.  You can see that effect in the picture below.  And then I attached the ears and head to the sock and the little sheep was done.



We normally use torn socks as cleaning rags but this was a much more fun way to re-purpose an old sock and get one more use out of it in its new incarnation.

And when you can't sleep, you can always count him jumping over the fence.



Check back every Monday for new posts, including more info on green products and DIY toys.

Follow me on Twitter @soups25

No comments:

Post a Comment