Saturday, June 27, 2015

Toy Logs Out of Old Clothes



Today I upcycled a torn cotton shirt into toy logs.  I always make sure the clothes we reuse as toys are not wrinkle-free, as those generally have harmful PFOAs on them.

First I cut the sleeves off the shirt.


I cut one of the sleeves in half to get a total of 3 logs out of 2 sleeves.


I then took some old fabric to stuff the logs.


I cut it into 3 pieces and rolled it to fit the log.  This ended up not being enough so I added some more cotton shirt scraps to fill the sleeves.


Here are the three sleeves, stuffed.


I took the ends and folded them closed, almost like gift wrap.




And then I sewed those ends shut.


Then I cut circles out of felt and drew on them with a black Sharpie Stained fabric pen.


I sewed the circles onto the ends of the logs with a blanket stitch and then used the fabric pen to draw wood grain onto the 3 logs and they were done!


Here they are with our Grimm's flames.



And here they are helping cook some of our playfood.


This was a quick, fun project that gave new life to a torn shirt.

Check back every Monday for new posts, including more info on green products and DIY toys.

 You can also click here to see my blog posts on The Huffington Post. 
Follow me on Twitter @soups25

No comments:

Post a Comment