Monday, September 28, 2015

Upcycled Garden Playmat


A few months ago, I turned some old clothes into a garden playmat for my sons.  I always make sure that when I am using old clothes, they are not wrinkle-free or no-iron clothes, as those have a PFOA coating.  You can click here to find out what Teflon and other PFOAs are associated with and how to avoid exposure to them.

I started with this cotton shirt and these cotton shirt scraps:

I cut horizontally below the word "Aspen" and then cut vertically along the two seams so I had a rectangle.


I then took my striped scraps and twisted them up to look like roses.



And I sewed the roses onto the mat.



I then cut out the pocket of an old pair of jeans, making sure I got the tan pocket part inside of the jeans as well.  I like putting pockets in my playmats for easy storage of the felt animals I make that go with each mat.



I sewed the pocket lake onto the corner of my mat and then added a few more wadded-up flowers and some trees using more cotton scraps:




And my playmat was done!




Tune in next week to see the swans and rabbit I made for the playmat.
You can see other playmats I've made by clicking below:



Follow me on Twitter @soups25



No comments:

Post a Comment