Sunday, October 11, 2015

Felt Swans and a Rabbit for the Garden Playmat




Last time, I showed you how I made a garden playmat for my kids out of old cotton clothes.  Here is how I made a black swan, a white swan and a rabbit out of felt for the playmat:

I drew this swan on a piece of white felt folded in half so that I would get two of them when I cut the shape out.  I then cut the same shape out of a folded piece of black felt to get duplicates in black.




I used my felt scraps to find two beaks and an eye for the black swan.



I then sewed the two pieces of the white swan together, stuffing it with cotton scraps, with a blanket stitch.  When it was finished, I sewed on the beak and drew the eye one with a black Sharpie Stained fabric pen.

I followed the same steps to make the black swan, except his eye was the piece of gray felt.  I sewed it on with black thread to make the pupil.


I cut the following shapes out of felt for the rabbit:

I sewed the ear, nose and eyes to the first piece of brown felt.  Then I sewed the two pieces of the rabbit's body together, using a blanket stitch, and stuffed it with cotton scraps before closing it, and the bunny was done:


These three animals were a fast, fun, low-cost project to make and my kids love playing with them.




Check back every Monday for new posts, including more info on green products and DIY toys.  The next few weeks are full of fun posts on Halloween and Diwali projects so be sure to come back.


Follow me on Twitter @soups25






1 comment: