Sunday, December 6, 2015

Space Card Table Fort Panel 1



For Diwali this year, I made my kids a space-themed card table fort. I had made them an ocean-themed one and an Indian-themed one a couple years earlier.

To make the four panels of the fort, I measured the length from the floor of the north side of the table, going up to the tabletop and back down to the south side. And I measured the width. I then measured the length and width needed for the east and west panels (without having to go over the tabletop again). I then waited for a good coupon at Jo Ann Fabrics and used to it to purchase black Eco-fi felt by the yard. The felt-by-the-yard was wide enough for me to get all four panels out of the cut I chose.

When I got home, I folded the felt in half and draped it over the table. So I have the north and south sides covered, and the east and west sides are open.



After confirming I did purchase the right length, I put the folded felt onto the floor.


And then cut it.


I was left with two long pieces of felt.


It was now time to see what was needed for the east and west sides, without having to go over the tabletop again, since that was covered. So I placed my felt where it needed to be...

...trimmed the excess length...


...and figured out how much of an overlap I wanted on the tabletop for the east and west sides.


I then sewed the east and west panels to the tabletop portion of the long panel that covers the north side, south side and the tabletop.


And with it hand sewn in place, I used the sewing machine to go over the east and west panels on the tabletop portion of the felt, to secure them in place.


For the first panel, I decided to make the solar system. I thought it would look cute and be a great way for the kids to learn the planets in the correct order.





 I used Eco-fi felt from Jo Ann Fabrics to cut out my planets, trying to make them as close to their actual color and proportions as possible with the felt I had.  I sewed Earth, Jupiter and Saturn's pieces together before sewing them to the black felt. I sewed the sun and its rays together directly on the black felt.



Once I got the sun and planets in the right order onto the black felt, I took white thread and with a running stitch sewed the planets' orbit lines onto the mat and one panel of four was finally done!



Check back here for the other 3 panels in the coming weeks!


Follow me on Twitter @soups25


2 comments:

  1. You are so talented! This is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! So is your busy book! I want one. This project led to major felt fatigue.

    ReplyDelete