Monday, December 21, 2015

A Living Tree for the Holidays and Easy DIY Felt Ornaments


While looking for a small, artificial Christmas tree for the holidays, I started to wonder what the trees were made of and whether or not they were non-toxic.  It turns out artificial trees often have lead or PVC or flame retardants in them. (To see why I try to decrease my family's exposure to phthalates and flame retardants when possible, click above for my previous posts detailing what they are and where they can be found).

I didn't want to get a tree that was cut down for the holidays either, so I tried to find a living tree.  While there were some companies that rented living trees for a few weeks a year, they were not on my side of the country. So finally, I decided to get a tiny living tree.

I opted for a rosemary plant that will hopefully last for years to come to give us a truly green holiday season.

I decided to make quick, tiny ornaments out of felt to decorate the little tree.  I turned to what little felt I had in my scrap bags and did what I could with what was available.



I cut the following shapes out:


I sewed the felt together with a quick running stitch and then found an old ribbon. I tied it into knotted loops like this and cut it up so that each ornament had something to hang them up on the tree with.



I sewed the loops to the ornaments and using a Sharpie Stained fabric pen, quickly drew faces on and my ornaments were done.


Here is our little tabletop tree. It is a great way to celebrate while being environmentally responsible and decreasing my family's exposure to certain toxins. For more information on what trees have lower levels of these toxins, check out the Soft Landing's informative post on this topic here.



Happy Holidays!

If you like what you see here, check out my Amazon Author page for my picture books, (including 3 Raksha Bandhan books, 12 Indian language books for kids, The Booger Fairy and Nishi Goes to India).   If you have a minute, I'd love some more reviews.
 You can also click here to see my blog posts on The Huffington Post. 
Follow me on Twitter @soups25


No comments:

Post a Comment